It takes a balanced role of a mother and a father to nurturing sexual nature of a child. Especially father, it is stated in the Qur'an surah Annisa verse 34 that "a man is the maintainers of a women because Allah has made some of them to excel others..". From 17 parenting dialogues found in the Qur'an, 14 of them are the dialogues between a father and a child. It shows that the role of a father indeed significant in a child development, especially in nurturing sexual nature.
The role based on the child's age
3-6 years: A father has to be close to both his son or daughter
7-10 years: A father has to be close to his son, so that he can nurture the son's sociocentric aspect
11-14 years: A father has to be close to his daughter as an effort to give the idea of an ideal role of a man
The role based in nurturing sexual nature
To the boy:
- As a role model as a child, a husband, and a father.
- Spend time to chat or play with the child.
- Go to masjid together
- Teach the boy to clean after himself
- Do physical exercise and sports
- Teach the signs of akil baligh
- Teach about discipline and responsibility
To the girl:
- To give a good example
- Prevent the child from unhealthy TV shows/ content
- Teach a clear boundary between male and female
- Teach the child to cover up
- To be the first figure to teach the right attitude towards the opposite sex
- To give a good protection and safety
- To give strength and confidence
- To teach about discipline and responsibility
Personal take on this topic:
A mother and a father share the same responsibilities when it comes to nurture the child. The presence of a father gives a significant role to the development of a child. In my opinion, the role of a father in nurturing sexual nature is irreplaceable. The absence of this role may cause deviations to the child.